Hi Folks:

I suppose it's all about perspective. Have you ever spent hours prepping for a recording. then laid down a nearly perfect vocal except for one stinking note? Since I don't do 8 track recordings, my only choice is to "let it slide" and put out an imperfect recording... or start over and do the whole darn thing again.

That's what got me excited about the Melodyne method. I know it means I'll have to start doing at least two tracks (vocal & music) but being able to save all that work, especially when (in my delusional mind... LOL!) I "nailed it" except for that one cotton picking note. When it comes to learning new methods and software, I'm also a bit leery of all the work it represents... but success can be so rewarding.

After "flying the new method around the patch" a few times... it tends to get easier and eventually, viola! Success.

Yeah, I know, this is a bit over-simplified, you are probably thinking, but... if you never try, you never fully understand. I also agree with Barry. If you don't sell your song with all the emotion or sincerity... or even comedy if required, nothing else will come to your rescue. A bad vocal is a bad vocal.

On the other hand, if you have mastered your vocal abilities and are already at the professional level, all this technological stuff is probably a waste of time. Then there is the story going around that nearly every "artist" uses some kind of pitch correction technology... or it all gets done "magically" by the recording techs behind the scenes after the session is over.

Being the "Klutz" I tend to be, what do I know? Very little, it seems. But sometimes it pays to try. What if Mike had never given technology a shot? A tremendous resource would have never been available to us! That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

The easy "out" for most of us is to "hire" someone with more talent to do a demo of our song for us. Compare what it would cost to get a Nashville Demo done and you'll do cartwheels when you hear Mike's quote!

Regards, ----Dave