@ Jody, the response was neither in favor nor against learning or trying to learn perfect pitch

You presented a challenge to the given definition of perfect pitch.

Your definition is correct, but the other definition given was a "in a nutshell" one

If you learn relative pitch, or even perfect pitch (if possible), you still dont have perfect pitch, you acquired the skill.

* somebody with 20/20 vision has naturally perfect vision. Somebody who has 20/40 does not have perfect vision, but he can see perfectly when given
glasses (training). The end result is both people can see 20/20, just one person has it naturally.  The person wearing glasses can never say they have perfect vision

Im 100% in favor of a musician or songwriter doing anything they feel will make them better. If I thought it would make me a better songwriter Id do it.

I dont have perfect pitch, but Im a pretty darned good hearing musician, I have musicians ears according to an audiologist who did a work up on me one time when I thought I damaged my hearing at a loud concert. I hear most music reasonably well. I find listening to other musicians and music to be more useful than doing pitch training.

I dont see perfect pitch as being very meaningful. There is not alot you can do with it, and you can be a crap musician with perfect pitch, or a great musician without perfect pitch

But if you feel you can learn perfect pitch, give it a shot! Nothing wrong with that