Robert,

Okay, alright..though it's good to actually hear you say it. You've never actually ever said, "I believe that.." or "in my opinion.." but always made strong declarative statements; it felt good to hear you say actually say "yes these are just my opinions" for once, so I'm glad I got you to clarify. smile

Now that we've gotten that out of the way..

Your "argument" isn't that rap is not art, I hope, cuz that's totally refutable in 99% of the definitions of art, that go something like this:

Art is the product or process of deliberately arranging items in a way that influences and affects one or more of the senses, emotions and intellect.

I think what you mean is that you don't think that much rap makes good art, deeming it "unworthy," perhaps forgetting that people of different cultures might find some things "worthy" that you with your background don't?

Here's how a debate went on debate.org with your side losing 11-0:

http://www.debate.org/debates/Rap-s...pers-should-not-be-considered-artists/1/

The gist..yes, it can be vile and violent, but it is "culturally and psychologically invaluable."

If Martians had music, we'd probably think it crap, as well, but it would probably be because it was so foreign to us that we just didn't "get it." I think that maybe that's happening here with you and rap, Robert. You are judging it from a baseline of Dylan and perhaps Gaye, and if you do that it's like saying "this apple's no good cuz it's not more orange-like."

I just know that I, personally, am not one to judge rap music. But people who's opinion I trust do like some .

Anyway, I'm tired, and Bates Motel is over and I'm sad. cry

Mike

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 04/26/17 03:58 AM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)