Robert,

The experience and enjoyment of art is a rather subjective thing. There is no real way to "quantify" other than to rely on critics to find some kind of consensus that way. But Robert, you've found a way to defy even the critics by elevating your opinion to the only one that counts!

Prince really liked Kendrick Lamar; so do I. I can hear black music history in his work. James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Sly Stone, George Clinton, Prince--it's all in there..I connect to it because I can hear the source and I appreciate his Beck-like pastiche kind of funk. I am not thinking "this is not art!" when I listen, but just listening and enjoying something I understand just enough to appreciate quite a bit.

Rap is meaningful to many people, whether you want to call it art or not. We all have slightly different understands of what "art" is. Is your definition better than mine? Does the opinion/definition of a kid who lives in the ghetto count? Is the opinion of "what art is" formed by democratic consensus, or by demagogic autocracy?

Mike

Last edited by Michael Zaneski; 04/25/17 08:25 PM.

Fate doesn't hang on a wrong or right choice
Fortune depends on the tone of your voice

-The Divine Comedy (Neil Hannon)
from the song "Songs of Love"
from the album "Casanova" (1996)